Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Repairing Diastasis Recti After Pregnancy

Diastasis Recti. Many pregnant women suffer from this, "this" being abdominal separation. Apparently I had a little bit of it myself, showing up around my 5th or 6th month of pregnancy. My Dr. acted like it was nothing and that I would recover easily from it. He did say, though, that women who have tight abs before they get pregnant are more apt to suffer from diastasis simply because their abs aren't used to being stretched out. Well what the heck, I get punished because I'm in shape and have slammin' abs? How unfair is that? Regardless, I seem to be on the mends, with only a little bit of protrusion in my upper abs that I notice when I crunch up from a laying-down position on the floor. Kinda NOT cool, but it just comes with the territory I guess.

Below is one video of several on the RunnersWorld website. Click on it to watch it, and if you go here :

http://www.runnersworld.com/video/1,8052,s6-6-0-2,00.html?ext=Y&videolink=http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1243489102/bclid6520547001/bctid6541535001

...you can see the other related videos in the sidebar that compile the Core Values Workout. Get going on these exercises at least a couple weeks after birth, and you can start to zip those abs back up. Remember, though, it took 9 months to stretch those muscles out so it may take a few months to get them back!

1 comment:

  1. Lisbet- I had a baby boy in Jan and have enjoyed reading your account of being a mom. I had this same thing happen! I actually saw a physical therapist last week to learn some exercises that I should do and which ones to avoid until it comes back together more. That's interesting what your Dr. said about having good abs before pregnancy.. I kind of suspected that. I'll have to check out those videos. Sounds like you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments entertain me - so please, be my guest!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels